Thursday, August 27, 2009

KOREA Week XVII Review

Thursday, August 27, 2009 at 8:15am

This past weekend I traveled to Busan, South Korea's second largest city and the largest seaport in the country. Both Greg and his roommate, Brian, also a Toledoan, were gracious hosts and treated me to a fantastic time. Travel to/from Busan via KoRail/KTX was relatively easy and only four hours travel time. Cost of the round-trip ticket; 65,000 Won.

Sanbon to Suwon - 30 minutes via subway
Suwon to Daejeon - 1 hour 30 minutes via KoRail
DaeJeon to Busan - 2 hours via KTX (high speed rail)

As many folks may recall, I originally wanted to locate in or near Busan, but could not locate an Adult teaching position there. Instead, I was left with the decision between two Adult hagwons in the suburban Seoul area, thus my current location in Sanbon, approximately 45 minutes Southwest of Seoul. Because of this, I treated the past weekend as a test to confirm or disprove my initial preference of Busan. Unfortunately, and following last weekend's enjoyment, I must announce that I like Busan very much and wish I lived there.

First of all, the beaches are wonderful and there are many mountains to enjoy leisurely hikes and the outdoors. It's also warmer, perhaps 15-20 degrees Fahrenheit, in the winter months instead of the colder Midwestern-style winters made famous by the greater Seoul area. Also, many people suggest the people are friendlier in the South, as there is a large influx of Japanese along with other Asians who enter the country through the port city. Strangely, I have learned the inhabitants of Seoul and other Northern provinces believe the Busan folk are less educated and not as cosmopolitan as themselves, so there's a kind of inferiority complex amongst the Korean people. I suppose it would be somewhat similar to New Yorkers opinions of themselves compared with Southerners from Atlanta or Florida? Maybe. In addition, some students have suggested Busan folk are less conservative and more promiscuous in nearly all their affairs. In other words, it's my kind of town.

As if these reasons weren't enough, Greg and Brian share a ridiculous apartment with magnificent views of the seaport and the Sea of Japan (East Sea). Their apartment complex is located at the very Southeastern-most point of Busan, which is also the Southeastern-most point of the Korean continent, the apartment is brand new, and most units probably sell for around 600,000,000-1,000,000,000 Won (roughly $500,000-800,000)? It's insane, three large bedrooms and two full baths for only two people, perhaps 2,500 square feet, and it features some of the most futuristic built-in electronics I have ever seen. Seriously, it's like something out of The Jetsons. Video intercom system, keyless locks, and a remote call feature for the elevators are all standard fare. They also have a proper kitchen complete with full-size refrigerator, dishwasher, gas range, and expensive looking cabinetry. I am so freakin jealous of their set-up, but they both are extremely generous hosts, so I cannot complain too much. Plus, Greg dropped a handsome key money deposit to be able to afford it, which I definitely could not pony up.

The reason for the trip was a party they hosted Saturday night as a house-warming event. It was a great party, with good food, good people, good music, and lots of booze. Because they both work in an adult hagwon, many of their students and faculty members were present, so it was nice to meet them and interact with other Koreans. Some of the attendees were young Korean girls (students), who became increasingly friendly as the night progressed and the more alcohol they consumed. Nuff said on this topic.

Both Saturday and Sunday afternoons, we visited Gwangalli Beach, a 1.4 kilometer long beach located only a ten minute cab ride from their apartment, and prominently situated in what seems to be the heart of the city. Straight outta Wikipedia, "The beach is popular among younger crowds for its distinct cafes and restaurants, as well as a few nightclubs. The beach sits inside a cove spanned by the Gwangan Bridge, which is colorfully lit up at night." This bridge is newly constructed in 2003 and spans 7,420 meters, making it the longest bridge in South Korea. There were many beautiful women found sunbathing at the beach, and it was a terrific place to relax, enjoy the scenery, and toss the frisbee.

Following a late Saturday night (almost 5am), we found ourselves eating cheeseburgers truly the size of your head late Sunday afternoon and prior to my return trip home. The cheeseburger was incredible, the best I have eaten in Korea, and was only 12,000 Won. Considering the size and the ingredients, it was a bargain.

In summary; I love Busan and I can't wait to return for another visit. Four hours travel time is not far, despite what some may say (see paragraph below), and the city met or exceeded every expectation. I'm thinking maybe Busan, should I decide to teach a second year in Korea. Maybe..

Here's a Korean observation that I find interesting. Many students have told me they have never been to Busan, despite the fact it is only four hours by train. Their reason is just that; it's too far to travel. Because Korea is so small (roughly the size and shape of Indiana), Koreans do not like to travel for distances greater than two hours. So, in fact, I have actually visited more places in only four short months than many people who have lived here their entire lives. That's really crazy, especially when you consider I have a long list of places I want to visit in Korea over the next eight months, and places I hope to return to. Four hours, the same distance I traveled to SeorakSan National Park back in July, is also the distance from my hometown to Chicago, and is not a difficult drive by any means.

Other happenings in my so called Korean life:

I have registered for classic guitar lessons to be held every Wednesday afternoon and starting next week. Lessons will be conducted at the Gunpo Children's Center, which is also for adults, and the cost is only 90,000 Won for 15 weeks' classes. A bargain.

Currently, I am searching for a new barber. The man who cut my hair since week three in Korea has vanished from the barbershop, leaving me with a crazy haired woman who currently has two strikes against her. I really liked the original barber because he quickly learned how I wanted my hair to look like and I never had to tell him a second time. The woman, well, perhaps her crazy permed hair should have been a telling sign of what was to come. Seriously, she looks like Rhea Perlman from Cheers or a 1980's Geena Davis, and it is incredibly rare for a Korean to have such frizzy hair. The first time she cut my hair I thought maybe I was being overly critical since it wasn't the usual guy. The second time, however, she completely shaved off my sideburns despite the fact I explained to her multiple times to leave them they length they were. When, after I realized the mistake on the first sideburn and told her this, she left the second completely untouched as if I wanted them to be lopsided. WTF? As American friend John so appropriately pointed out, "it's the little things."

Speaking of John, I have completed the purchase of my new leather couch and chair, and today I took delivery from his apartment, as he leaves August 30 for Boston. While it's sad to see him leave, I am loving my new set-up. Also, he tells me he has signed another year's contract at a new school located only 15 minutes from Sanbon and will return in two months. Purchase price of a less than one-year old leather sofa, suede chair, three plants in clay pots, and wine rack: 100,000 Won + 30,000 Won moving expense via delivery truck. Another amazing deal, worth every Won.

This couch will be available to any and all friends or family who have mentioned visiting me in Korea. It was purchased with you in mind, you are each welcome to crash on it, and I truly hope someone besides me will use it for this purpose.

Ban-gap-sup-ne-da! (Welcome)

3 comments:

geese said...

Love the new yorker comment. Sounds like you got some pusan in busan. Nice

Anonymous said...

busan people are less conservative????
who said that???

busan people are well-known for their extreme conservativenss! the most conservative ppl in korea!!!

Aunt Beth said...

Hi, Ethan... I found this extremely informational. It's like a vicarious experience to read your very interesting descriptions. My only other comment is to please be careful of the combination of booze and women. Also, I would find it helpful to know how much American your expenditures are, such as the cheeseburger. Love you, miss you, and hope you continue to inform us.
Beth