Thursday, August 13, 2009

KOREA Week XV Review

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The first week of August classes ended better than they started, and as the week progressed, I was careful to avoid any classroom mistakes with YouTube, especially when teaching young children. Other classroom happenings; we have been listening to songs in several classes and discussing the lyrics. It's a great learning tool for the students and they seem to really enjoy this. It also gives the students some control on the class content, as they are each responsible for introducing the songs and providing the lyrics for discussion. For some reason, Queen, Eric Clapton, and Norah Jones are all popular with the students and it is almost guaranteed one of these artists will appear in every class. Another popular song, for some bizarre reason, is the song "Way Back into Love" from the Hugh Grant/Drew Barrymore movie Music and Lyrics. I have no idea why this song is so popular in Korea, but it is.

Another popular classroom discussion has been cosmetic surgery, as this is a most popular trend in South Korea. I have read reports which suggest some 30% of college students have cosmetic surgery, and most of my students agree it's a positive thing for young people to change their appearance. The double eye lid surgery is among the most popular, thus making Koreans eyes appear more Western and less Asian. This is one example of how meaningful looks and beauty are in Korean society. It's also a prime example of how Westernized this country has become. Aside from the university name on your diploma, looks are one of the most important things when applying for a job and assured success in Korean life. Also, it seems to be one of the first things Koreans not only notice about people, but are quick to comment on when meeting someone for the first time. A comparison to a Western movie star can sometimes be soon to follow this analysis. As an example, I have been compared to Bruce Willis and Kiefer Sutherland on numerous occasions. Seriously. The Bruce Willis comparison has been made maybe fifty times, and Kiefer Sutherland or, "the guy from 24", perhaps twenty times or so.

On Saturday, Alvin and I traveled to Seoul to visit the famous Yongsan Electronics Mall; a giant ten story building filled with numerous vendors and every type of electronic device imaginable. One of the favorite Korean electronics I discovered is the deluxe toilet seat, which is not only heated, but also features the following wash cycles; regular wash, turbo wash, feminine wash, and a drying cycle. Yeah, it's that thorough. Cost of the deluxe toilet seat is a mere 500,000 Won. Other noteworthy items at the Yongsan Mall include several large camping displays, along with many computer outlets, camera stores, and television sellers.

Unfortunately, the prices here are not as incredible as I had previously been led to believe. It seems that in recent years, the popularity of the internet has meant the sellers at Yongsan cannot compete like they used to. So, while I was hopeful to find an inexpensive camcorder, I was unsuccessful in my efforts. I did, however, manage to make friends with an attractive girl named so So-Young, who was working at one of the stores, and we exchanged telephone numbers.

Even though there are not as many bargains as it may seem, there are some deals, depending on what you are searching for. For example, I located inexpensive computer speakers, along with other miscellaneous computer and audio equipment. We also found an incredible discount on a 22" flat panel television, but one must have an LG discount card and an LG credit card to fully utilize the 70% savings.

What I learned from the day's experience is the best discounts are just prior to closing (7pm) when the stores are hopeful for any last minute sales to complete their day. It is here that I found the sellers most aggressive on their prices, especially when you consider there doesn't seem to be any set prices or price tags on items. Instead, I had to ask the attendants for their assistance, which was incredibly frustrating because many did not seem to enjoy speaking with me, and some even wanted me to make them an offer before they would disclose their price. In other words; it did not seem like they wanted my business or were willing to compete with other sellers to earn it. Also, I found the price on the same model camcorder ranged between 250,000-350,000 Won, depending on the mood of the seller. Overall, it was a slightly exhausting experience, but the free beer at the Cass party in the mall's courtyard made the day's end better.

On Wednesday, I met with So-Young from the electronics mall in Yongsan. We visited the National Museum of Korea (my second time) and later enjoyed chili bulgogi dinner in the GwanghaMun district of Seoul. Let me tell you, it really sucks having to return home after such a pleasant afternoon, and when things are going so well, to teach 8pm class. Alas, I hope to rendezvous with her again soon.

Some of the American teachers I have befriended over the past four months will soon finish their teaching contracts, and return to the U.S. or Canada. It's sad because we are each here on a different schedule, so naturally there will be some overlap with myself and many of the others during the course of my year in Korea. On the bright side of this, I hope to finalize the purchase of a couch from American friend John who will soon depart for Boston. Others who are completing their year long contracts are arranging to have their excesses shipped back to their native lands or will place in storage until they return to teach another year. They are a good bunch and I will miss them.

The end of Monsoon Season here in the East Orient has brought extremely high temperatures and humidity to the region. It's reminiscent of the hot and humid temperatures that plague the Midwestern United States in the summer months, and I seem to be so very familiar with. Recent temperatures have ranged between 80-100 degrees Fahrenheit or maybe 28-33 degrees Celsius. Because of this, afternoon hiking has temporarily ended for me, and mid-afternoon naps have once again become my favorite thing to do.

This weekend is a three day holiday, Korean Independence Day, so I have plans to go camping Friday through Sunday. After changing my destination several times, I have finally decided on the Taean Peninsula along the Western shore of Korea. I have heard it's a popular tourist spot in the summer months because of the great beaches and numerous campgrounds. It's also home to a disastrous oil spill in December 2007, though I have read, and I hope, that cleanup efforts were successful. My only hope is it's not too hot and not too crowded.

Peace out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so, just how young is so young?

mom (of course)