Wednesday, March 31, 2010

KOREA Week XXXXIX

It seems as if my time in Korea would not be complete without another visit to the hospital. Or so, that's what they told me.

Late Sunday afternoon, I sliced my finger while opening a can of olives. Yes, a can of olives. I was almost finished cooking a delicious pasta when the accident occurred, causing me to abandon the cooking efforts and head to the local hospital. This was, in fact, my third visit in eleven months.

After a tetnis shot and an x-ray, the doctors prepared me for my stitches. Because the fingertips are one of the most sensitive parts of the body, this was not easy and it required anesthetic via a long needle to the fingertip. Not pleasant. In fact, it turned out to be a series of three shots, not just one, and I'm convinced the doctor did not properly do this. It was so uncomfortable that I passed out during the third needle shot to the finger, causing the ER staff to rush to my side with an oxygen tube and other accoutrements. Nice!

Seven stitches and 45,000 Won later, I left Sanbon hospital having vowed to never return there. I later learned that in Korea, it's twice as expensive to visit the ER on weekends. I also learned about something called "Sunday Doctors", a somewhat affectionate term for the interns who staff local hospitals on the weekends in place of the actual doctors.

Other news:

Lots of movie watching going on here. Greenzone, From Paris With Love, Julie & Julia, The Soloist, Shutter Island, and many others.

Just in case anyone was wondering, McDonald's hotcakes are sausage breakfast tastes the same in Korea as it does back home. At 4,500 Won, the cost is also the same. Regrettably, I am just now learning this.

I visited a new hamburger restaurant in Itaewon after reading about it in Seoul Eats, a local food blog I subscribe to. Two Broz. offers a pretty damn good hamburger at semi-reasonable prices. I paid around 11,000 Won for a good-size burger, fries, and a coke. It's definitely better than my recent attempts at hamburger consumption, namely Chili King, though the fries are crinkle cut which I don't especially like. Two Broz. may even be better than Kraze Burger, which has been my favorite Korean attempt at fast food.

I keep reading about Five Guys Burgers & Fries back in the U.S. and I'm eager to experience this when I return. Actually, I'm eager to experience many things when I get home.

The weather continues to be unseasonably cold in Seoul. Spring has not yet arrived, though many students promise me warmer temperatures within the next two weeks. I hope they're right.

No comments: