Thursday, March 4, 2010

KOREA Week XXXXV

A sampling of random events over the past month or so..

On February 9 there was a 3.0 magnitude earthquake felt throughout Korea. It's epicenter was about 20 kilometers from my home, and I was delighted to experience my first earthquake. Actually, it felt like a large truck passed by the building or some type of vibration from construction. My enthusiasm was short lived, however, when friends in Chicago reported a 4.1 magnitude earthquake the very next day.

Recently, I went bowling for the first time in Korea and yours truly bowled a surprising 173 in the first game. Not bad for almost a year away from the game. Bowling in Korea is surprisingly comparable to bowling back in the states, aside from the velcro bowling shoes which not only fit a little to snug but also come out of a vending machine, bowling balls which read "Made in China", and a surprisingly lack of alcohol service. Even more surprising, the staff do not appreciate it when the patrons attempt to sneak in bottles of beer.

Lately I have been enjoying some Elmore Leonard novels I purchased from a foreign teacher friend who recently departed for Thailand. Elmore Leonard is one of the best and five paperback novels for 20,000 Won is a great value.

One late night two drunken Korean men commented to Gemma that I looked a lot like Bruce Willis. As funny as this may seem, I have heard both this and Kiefer Sutherland countless times in Korea. What was even more funny, after the drunken men stumbled off Gemma proceeded to tell me how much she hates it when people say that. When I asked why, she told me because I don't look anything like Bruce Willis. Fair enough. Then who do I look like? I don't know, she says, maybe Robin Williams. Thanks for that, but I think I prefer Bruce Willis.

Two weeks ago, on a relatively warm (35 Fahrenheit) afternoon, Gemma and I walked the entire length of Cheonggye Stream. (Click here for a brief video on Cheonggye Stream courtesy of The NY Times) It's total length is 11.5 kilometers as it winds its way through central Seoul. Ever since my first visit to the stream back in June, I have been fascinated with it and have wanted to complete the walk. And with only two months remaining in Korea, I choose this Valentine's Day to drag my surprisingly enthusiastic Korean girlfriend to join me for the trip.


Cheonggye Stream begins near Gwanghamun, the center of many government offices and famous scenes of public protest. The area has a rich history beginning in the Joseon Dynasty around 1400 AD through its modern day use, following its comprehensive restoration project in 2004. What I like best about the stream, aside from its history and it significance to the Korean people, is how a 11.5 kilometer long green space can exist in the middle of one of the largest, busiest, and most densely packed cities in the world. At the end of the stream is the Han River and Seoul Forest, the second largest park in the city. Both are truly great; a recommendation for any Seoul visitor, best in summer, but can be enjoyable any time of year.

Olympic news:

The 2010 Winter Olympics have come and gone. What a fantastic two weeks it was! It was especially exciting to follow the games while abroad. I most assuredly cheered for the U.S. athletes, including the Men's Hockey team, though I was secretly pleased with the success of the Korean athletes who finished in seventh place overall with a total of 14 medals.

The Korean speed skaters enjoyed a tremendous success, and the Korean hatred toward Apolo Anton Ohno, was hard to ignore. It seems their hostility following the unfortunate incident at the 2002 Olympic games is not forgotten. I must admit, however, that many Koreans did not seem too interested in the games other than the profound success of the Korean speed skaters and, of course, Yuna Kim.

A couple words about Yuna Kim. First of all, at only 20 years of age, she is Korea's darling sweetheart and Korea's highest paid athlete. It is reported she made nearly $10 million last year in endorsements, and it is easy to believe this when you see her photo pasted throughout the country, advertising everything from milk to air conditioners. Really, she is that popular. I also heard she was the second highest paid athlete at the Winter games, second only to Shaun White.

Best of all, she is a Sanbon native and graduate of Suri High School. In fact, many of my students live in the same apartment complex as her family or have children who graduated with her. Of course, she no longer lives in Sanbon, and has called Toronto home for the past four years. Nonetheless, she remains a national hero, and one week following her gold medal, Yuna Fever is in full effect.

Ethan's brief ranting:

KB Bank, the nation's largest bank, shut down all their banking services last week while they updated their computer systems. I was told they sent a text message to their Korean customers informing them of their intentions. Unfortunately, they failed to notify their English speaking customers of this interruption, thus leaving many foreigners stranded without use of their bank card or access to ATM services. James, my American co-teacher, told me he was without cash and had no means of purchasing anything on the day this occurred. I, fortunately, was carrying enough cash when my card was declined at a restaurant that day. I also have a second account at a different bank I was able to use that day.

Since this incident originally occurred, there have been many opportunities to discuss the implications of this. Consensus is myself and many others find it inexcusable that the bank would experience such an oversight. With over one million foreigners living in Korea, that's a substantial enough number to warrant comprehensive banking services to all customers, regardless of nationality or language. Especially when you consider the fact that most bank employees speak English and are more than capable of providing adequate warning to their English speaking customers when their banking services will be interrupted.

Sorry to sound so negative, but this incident makes me think about just how dependent we foreigners are on so many different levels while living abroad. This, and, we probably take too many things for granted. Monthly paychecks and basic banking services are two that come to mind. Without access to cash, we are powerless and cannot do much of anything. Without Korean friends or a helpful school manager, it becomes even more difficult to survive.

So lesson learned; keep adequate cash on hand at all times, don't lose your passport or other important documents, and always keep a wealth of Korean friends on standby. You never know when you will need their assistance.

And keep on keeping on...

No comments: