Monday, May 4, 2009

KOREA Day 8

Mon, May 4, 2009 at 5:45pm

Monday; start of Week II in this foreign land. I taught two classes this morning (630-8am and 1030am-12pm). Both were Free Talk classes, which means no set format or text book, but instead open dialogue. B.H., my golf friend, was the only student in the first class. We discussed Korean competitiveness in the business world; in particular manufacturing processes, and management comparisons with U.S. corporations. B.H. has visited the U.S. several times when working for Hyundai, which is pronounced "Hun-day" in Korea. I was surprised to learn that labor organizations are strong in Korea, and are often a challenge to Korean competitiveness and economic growth. My second student was Kelli, early 30's mother of one, who speaks very good English, and wants to visit her sister in California. Tonight I teach two classes, both Step 4, and a little more formal than this morning's Free Talking format.

After class this morning, James and I took the train to Anyang, which is the town located to the North of Sanbon and just the other side of Suri San Mountain. I purchased a Korean Rail Card (900 Won one-way fare) and three stops later we were in Anyang, which is much larger and busier than Sanbon. It was nice to get out of Sanbon, if only for an hour, just to experience life outside this town. While there, we walked around for a short while, and purchased a dozen fresh doughnuts at Krispy Kreme as a gift for the girls in the office at school. Unfortunately, only nine of these doughnuts made the return trip to Sanbon. I guess Anyang is still considered part of Gunpo City, so it is also served by the Gunpo Bus System. Apparently, many Americans live/work in Anyang, so I will return next week for Open Mic Night at Club Psycho, an Anyang hang-out for ex-pats.

This afternoon I purchased a gym membership, located just two blocks from my building, for 33,000 Won/month. I have toured approximately four gyms since arriving in Sanbon, and I am pleased with my selection. The other gyms are located several blocks from my building, and each are priced 80,000-120,000 Won/month. Melissa, our delightful school secretary, located this fantastic deal for me and suggested I check it out. Way to go Melissa! Tomorrow, I begin weight training with Korean Hans and a strict diet of kimchi and green tea. Joking about the diet, but most serious about the weight training with Hans. Hopefully this turns out better than screen golf.

No classes tomorrow because of Korean Children's Holiday, so Ethan gets to sleep in and relax. I was told this is like a second Christmas for children. They are lavished with presents, and paraded around town like monkeys on a leash. Well, sort of..

I hope everyone likes the blog. Photos arriving soon, once I step out on the ledge and plug my laptop into the power converter. Wish me luck.

No comments: