Thursday, May 14, 2009

KOREA Day 19

Fri, May 15, 2009 at 2:15pm

This week was somewhat uneventful. More great Korean meals and settling into my daily routine. I discovered a fantastic Indian restaurant about a block away, and visited again for the second time this week. The owner speaks fluent English, and apparently, gets mad with James if he does not visit at least once a week. Fine by me. The food here is really great. I suggest the chicken curry with nan (Indian flat bread). This is the second meal I have eaten without chopsticks or "jeot garak" in Korean. I also tried Lotteria, Korea's own version of McDonald's, which was pretty terrible. I will probably avoid this in the future.

James has become a good friend and has been a tremendous asset my first weeks in Korea. Not only has he shown me around, introduced me to his favorite restaurants, and accompanied me on many trips, but I enjoy speaking with him over fine Korean meals. He also has been teaching ESL for many years (two in Japan and two in Korea) so he is a an excellent resource at work. I think he was a little lonely being the only American instructor at the school, so my arrival is most welcome for him. Currently, he is delighted, as he just purchased a 45" tv for his tiny apartment. I have not seen this, but apparently it keeps him well occupied and works well with his Wii system. If his apartment is anything like mine, I have no clue how a 45" TV fits.

My immigration card arrived mid-week, though, I was told they put the wrong address on the card so Immigration services has to remake and send me a new one. Not sure how that happened, but it kinda sucks, as I was really hoping to do some banking and purchase a cell phone this weekend. I have asked some students and the school staff to help me search out the best cell phone deals currently being offered. Apparently, free cell phones are possible with certain promotions. Most phones here are two years more advanced than US models, and many feature TV, GPS, internet, an English/Korean dictionary, games, etc.

Wednesday night I ran for over an hour at the running track, located across from E-mart. It's very frustrating running on the track here, perhaps even my biggest frustration yet, as the locals do not seem to have any regard for runners. Instead, people walk in all directions on the track, others walk across the track, children ride bikes on/near the track, etc. It's most annoying and I am searching for other places to run. I did learn, however, of a bike path that connects the countryside near Sanbon to Seoul and then stretches for many kilometers east and west of Seoul along the Han River. It's supposed to be great, and makes me wish I were a biker to utilize this.

Friday was Teachers Day in Korea. Many students brought me gifts, such as a green tea latte from Starbucks, Korean pastries, cards, and a very elegant hand mirror. James received some nice dress shirts, a box of doughnuts, a fountain pen, etc. We are also being treated to lunch next week by a mutual student of ours. Not a bad gig at all.

Saturday afternoon I have plans to visit Seoul with B.H. (student from KOREA Week I Review) and another student, Lily. I am not sure where we are going, but this was their suggestion to properly introduce me to and show me around Seoul. No complaints with me. Sunday morning, I hope to revisit the Hash Harriers for a run and beer drinking celebration.

I am, unfortunately, suffering from minor congestion and a sore throat, so I have been taking medication and drinking Robitussin, which makes me tired. I'm not sure how this started, but I really hope it leaves me soon. Korean folklore is that Soju helps overcome sickness, so last night, I drank a bottle. This, I regret to inform you, did not work.

Will update again soon. Have a great weekend!

No comments: