Monday, October 12, 2009

KOREA Week XXIV

Monday, October 12, 2009 at 10:11am

Immediately following last week's posting, I was reminded by a Korean friend of mine that it is considered improper, and slightly offensive to the Korean people, to refer to the East Sea as the "Sea of Japan". This stems from centuries of invasion and bitter warfare between the two countries which, unfortunately, has amassed a great deal of resentment toward the Japanese government. Currently, the Japanese and Korean governments are sparring over territorial boundaries in the East Sea, most notably the tiny rock island of DokDo. The resentment toward the Japanese government, it seems, is still prevalent, and understandably so when one studies the troubled history between the neighboring nations. What I have also learned, is that, in addition, to the territorial dispute surrounding DokDo, there is a vast natural gas reserve located deep beneath the ocean floor that should belong to whoever controls the territory.

Other happenings in recent weeks:

I located a cheap sushi restaurant in Sanbon that serves small plates of sushi via a rotating conveyor belt for a mere 1,300 Won per plate. Fair sushi at a fair price. Tasty and cheap.

One of my favorite restaurants in Sanbon, and perhaps the first restaurant I was introduced to by my fellow American teacher, James, recently closed. It's a shame, really, because I ate there maybe once a week, and always rotated between the BiBimBap (mixture of rice and vegetables in spicy sauce) and JeukDopBop (steamed pork in a spicy red sauce served with rice). Both dishes were sure to fill me up and only cost 5,000 Won. What's most frustrating is this happened without warning and a lingerie shop has replaced the restaurant. One day the restaurant was there, and literally, the next day no restaurant and lots of intimate apparel.

Early this week, Starbucks provided me and select frequent customers with free mini-cakes as a type of customer appreciation. While it's nice to be recognized, I have undoubtedly spent hundreds of thousands of Won at Starbucks over the past five and a half months. Enough to earn recognition and my regular table on most days and, apparently, a tasty cake every few months.

I recently visited Korean Costco for the first time. According to their website, there are a total of seven locations throughout Korea, with half located in the greater Seoul area. I was fortunate enough to visit the Yangjae store, located only 15 minutes from Sanbon via automobile. A Korean membership was 35,000 Won, but only because my U.S. membership card had expired, though, I was told it may be possible to transfer membership for little or no cost to valid cardholders.

The store layout and selection was remarkably similar to U.S. stores, with many Western food items and the usual bulk-size offerings. Biggest difference I could notice was found in the seafood section, which, similar to E-Mart, is filled with many of the peculiar Asian seafood products. Regardless, I was able to purchase 100,000 Won worth of groceries, otherwise unavailable to me at E-Mart, in addition to some bulk goods which should be priced less than other stores. I probably would have purchased more if it had not been for the limited capacity of my tiny dormitory style refrigerator. Rare food items included two packages of cheddar cheese, a container of salted almonds, pesto sauce, feta cheese, and a pumpkin pie. Yum! The largest disappointment, by far, was no guacamole, which is one of my favorite items available at U.S. Costco stores. Alas, it remains a welcome addition to my so called Korean life and dietary habits.

The Sanbon library plays English movies with Korean subtitles every Wednesday. Two weeks ago, my friend Gemma and I watched a mid-afternoon's showing of Dr. Zhivago, which, was thoroughly enjoyable, aside from the three and a half hour showing time. The movies are free, and the theatre is clean and comfortable. Beverages and snacks, like most other theaters, should be snuck inside. But I cannot endorse this practice.

I recently learned that I have been using fabric softener to wash my clothes instead of laundry detergent. I was oblivious to this, of course, as the containers are written in Korean, so I had no idea when I originally purchased this from E-Mart some four months ago. Smooth move, Ethan, but at least I smell fresh and my clothes are soft.

Many foreign friends have recently departed from their stay in Korea. Whatever the reason for their departure, whether it be premature or scheduled, it stings a little. I have been fortunate and made many good friends here, and I will miss them very much. Tiann has left Sanbon for a teaching position in another city, and Alvin, who has become a good friend and camping compadre, has left Korea under mysterious visa discrepancies. Another friend from Canada, Kelsey, has left following her one year contract at her school. I guess this is just part of the experience, but I will miss them.

Friday night a group of foreign teachers gathered at a local NoraeBang to properly see off Kelsey. I have said this many times before and I will continue to say it; I love NoraeBang! It's the best, especially when mixed with beer and soju, and enjoyed well into the early morning hours. A great way to celebrate with friends, old and new.

That's the news. Keep it real.

No comments: